To portray the status of higher education in the country, the Ministry of Education has endeavoured to conduct an annual web-based All India Survey on Higher Education (AISHE) since 2010-11. The survey covers all the Institutions in the country engaged in imparting higher education. Data is being collected on several parameters such as teachers, student enrolment, programmes, examination results, education finance, and infrastructure.
Indicators of educational development such as Institution Density, Gross Enrolment Ratio, Pupil-teacher ratio, Gender Parity Index, Per Student Expenditure will also be calculated from the data collected through AISHE. These are useful in making informed policy decisions and research for the development of the education sector.
There are two objectives for this survey is to:
- Identify all the institutions of higher learning in the country
- Collect data from all the higher education institutions on various aspects of higher education.
The collection of data is done under the following categories.
- Institution’s Basic Details
- Teacher’s Details
- Details of Non-Teaching Staff
- Programme conducted under various Faculties/Schools & Departments/Centres
- Students enrolled in these programmes
- Examination result of the terminal year of each Programme
- Financial Information such as Receipt and Expenditure under various heads
- Availability of Infrastructure
- Scholarships, Loans & Accreditation